Friday 18 October 2013

Novel Distractions


Novel Distractions


One thing all writers hate is distractions. Once we get into the flow of things; the ‘Writers Trance’ as it were, we` do not like to be interrupted. But different things distract different people. I am unfortunate that my office is also my bedroom where all my things are kept. Now the things don’t distract me, not at all, but I have two pet bearded dragons whom I love dearly, but every once in a while they get into an agitated mood, and nothing I do can pacify them. When they are like this, they like to scratch their vivarium walls and make an irritating ‘nails on a chalkboard’ noise. It’s very distracting. I stop writing to give them some play time, let them spend their excess energy and then put them back, but they still go at it. I have had them out for hours at a time and it makes no difference. They are just in that mood, so I have to leave them to it. It does mean that I cannot write, because I cannot concentrate, and the ‘Writers Trance’ becomes very elusive.

I live near Heathrow airport and have the planes flying over head constantly. Everybody who lives near an airport will tell you that you just don’t notice the noise, double glazing helps. When I am tired, I notice everything; the planes overhead, the radio down stairs, the scratching of beloved family pets and interruptions from once loved family members. These distractions rarely register and I can continue happily without disruption to my daily routine, but when fatigue sets in for whatever reason; that’s when disturbances can have an impact on your work.

My Tip: Take a break, even if it means taking a break all day. It’s hard for a writer to do that I know. But trust me, if you power through despite the distractions, then the work you produce will not be up to standard.

There is an exception to the rule. That is where the distraction is a welcome one. If you have a hobby or interest, then the odd break from routine can be good for you and you enjoy it more. You feel refreshed and ready to start work again. I love writing, cannot get enough of it. But I must break it up sometimes; otherwise I begin to go potty. (Thats crazy by the way, not toilet.) Tell me what drives you to distraction when you are trying to write.

 Read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment