Thursday 10 October 2013

2D or not 2D?


2D or not 2D?


I am a quarter of the way through my story when I realise that my main character/narrator is very 2-dimensional, or rather appears that way. In her synopsis (or brief life history) she has a perfectly good multi-layered life, but this does not come across on paper. So now I want to go back and start editing the first quarter, which goes against my usual protocol. Normally I will wait until I have finished the first draft and go back to edit a few months down the line, I find mistakes easier to pick up then. But now I’m in a quandary, because if I don’t edit the first quarter and ensure that my main character is more believable, I may have to adjust more than just the first quarter. I’m willing to do the extra work if it’s necessary to improve the story, but is it necessary or shall I spend some time over what I’ve already written and continue from there when I’m happy with it?

But then where will it end? Will I be forever 2nd guessing myself? Revisiting parts here and there as I write? I fear that if this is the case then I will not finish the book. This is my conundrum, but I wonder if it’s one many authors have come across? I’ve spoken to many writers, amateurs and professionals alike, and this problem has never cropped up in conversation before. So have you had this problem? If so, what was your solution? It is my fault entirely for failing to see that my character was in need of a major overhaul. I used her as a tool to tell the tale and not as a character within the story itself. Not a mistake I’ve made before but there’s always a first time, and I’m sure I’ll make it again. Let me know what you think in the comments below.

Read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment