Tuesday 8 October 2013

Knock Knock Novels


Knock Knock Novels


My novel, as my readers are well aware, is a Murder Mystery, but I like to add a little humour. This isn’t essential but I find the light hearted moments, the moments that make you smile, make the book worth reading. Not that the content has to be hilarious, or that it’s not valuable without the humour, but a book without a funny side can be quite bland. A little comedy can go a long way to letting your readers connect with the author and vice versa. It shows the human moments, the episodes in life that are worth taking the time to appreciate.

Maybe your book isn’t supposed to have any comedy, for whatever reason. Maybe you don’t like the funniness in a story and find that it detracts from the tale itself. But I think humour can be a very useful tool in any book. You could be writing “The Most Depressing Book on Depression” but still have some humour in there to add a little flavour; otherwise readers who weren’t depressed would probably end up being the subject of the sequel. Equally, “The Most Tense Book on Tension” would be too much to bear without some jesting to break it up.

Again, as with most of my blogs, I believe it all comes down to preference, but I do not understand how a book can survive without any humour involved. That being said, do you like humour in your literature? If so, what kind of humour do you enjoy? Do you like books that are supposed to be funny? Or do you like serious stories with a little comedy thrown in? Do you like the outlandishly hysterical humour of Terry Pratchett, or the more subtle wit of Oscar Wilde? Personally I like them both, because they both make me laugh.

But these are just my opinions, what are yours? Let me know in your comments below. Read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment