Tuesday 22 October 2013

Generating Genres


Generating Genres


One question I would like to ask other authors is why they chose their genre? Or Maybe they didn’t, maybe they were asked to write about a particular subject and found that they were good at it? I write murder mysteries, or crime novels, because that’s what interests me. I love to read a mystery and try to figure out ‘Who Dunnit?’ but I love writing them even more. I enjoy the challenge of trying to puzzle the reader and yet conclude the same story with a sense of, “Oh that’s how they did it?”

So I know why I write my chosen genre, it’s a fun and challenging one to attempt. But what about you guys? What do you prefer? Do you like to read the same subject as you write, or do your reading tastes vary from your writing tastes? I have wondered about this for some time, as it also affects artists and musicians. I’ve spoken to members of rock bands who like listening to pop, high profile rappers who listen to Mozart in their spare time and professional portrait painters who only hang landscapes in their home. I find this kind of cross-genre culture liberating. It means we are not bound by what we do; we are what we enjoy. We enjoy painting someone’s family, but enjoy looking at the surrey hills. Performing heavy metal, but listening to R ‘n’ B. Do we do this on purpose, to separate work from pleasure? Or is it that we like doing what we’re good at and enjoying what we’re not?

This thought still puzzles me, but I would love to know other’s ideas on this subject. Please read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment