Wednesday 16 October 2013

Baby Books


Baby Books


I was asked what the most difficult part of writing a novel is. I imagine that it’s different for every author, but for me I would say publishing. Not the finding a publisher part, though that’s difficult enough. No, I mean getting the courage to send your creation out into the world.

For many writers, including myself, our books are like our children. I imagine it is anyway, since I don’t have any kids of my own, I can only assume. But let me talk you through why I compare them to children. The spark of an idea is the glint in the father’s eye. You develop the idea into a story, much like the embryo is developed into a child. You begin writing your book, nurturing it and watching it grow. It’s not always a smooth ride, but you’ve enjoyed the challenges and difficulties it brings, even if you sometimes hate your story, its still yours and you love it. You edit your novel, making sure it is suitable for the world outside just as you would raise your child to be a well brought up member of the same world. Just when you think there’s nothing more for you to do, something comes up and you have to take care of it before you let it go.

Eventually, this little spark of an idea is a well written, fully developed novel that you are proud of. It may not be famous, it may not be the best and probably won’t win any awards, but it’ll still surprise you. You’ve done your job, now to let it out into the rest of the world and let it do its thing. Don’t worry, it’ll still be there when you want it, and it’s still yours.

I imagine that’s the most difficult thing for parents as well. You’ve worked hard to bring up your child, and when you least expect it, there’s nothing left for you to do. They fly the nest. Letting them go is difficult, but necessary if you want them to fulfil their potential.

These are just my thoughts. Please tell me yours. Read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment