Wednesday 11 September 2013

Writing Exertion


Typing Exertion


While I was typing away this morning, as I do most mornings, I was writing a particularly tense scene for my main character when I found my hands flying across the keyboard tapping the keys faster than I thought possible. After I had finished I found that my heart was beating faster and my breathing was quite heavy, similar to that of someone who has just had a brisk walk.

Has anybody else found this while they are writing? I am unsure as to whether it was an emotional response to the content, or the extended physical exertion of typing. Not that I have ever found typing to be that physically demanding but it makes sense since you are moving your hands and fingers rapidly in order to put your ideas to paper.

Also, how do you get yourself into ‘writing mode’? I found I like walking for about an hour at a local park. It gets my imagination going and allows me some exercise before sitting down to a day’s typing. I find the fresh air invigorating, and living within a stone’s throw of Heathrow Airport, all the more essential. During the walk, I’m trying to imagine the scenario I’m about to start writing. Playing it out in my head before I put it to paper to see where the imagination takes it. Being outside and listening to music on the iPhone helps to get the creative juices flowing, allowing the old grey matter to fully develop these literary ideas.

So what do you do? Do you prefer being outside when trying to imagine a story, or do you have a special place? What’s your inspiration, your muse, for the literary creativity?

 

Read, follow, comment and enjoy J

No comments:

Post a Comment