Thursday 5 September 2013

Novel Mistakes


"I want to write a book." I answered anyone stupid enough to ask an 8 year old "What do you want to do when you grow up?". Its not a bad thing, but what kind of book? When you realise you want to write fiction, then you cease to call it writing and start to refer to it as creating. But you can't create a book. Not unless you are the publisher. So you create a story. A work of fiction. A novel!

I want to create a story, so I shall use this blog to record my experiences while writing my first commercial novel. I shall probably make a lot of mistakes along the way, and would be grateful to anyone willing to point them out.
I am sitting at my computer with its modest 18”x 18” monitor ready to type up the notes I have made. Just everyday perceptions scribbled down on odd receipts and empty envelopes, that I think will help me compose this story. I have got an idea about what kind of novel I’m going to write. I want to write a murder mystery. This is going to be a challenge in itself, trying to come up with a murder that hasn’t been written yet, then trying to make it almost impossible to have been committed, then prove how it was committed. On top of that, create believable characters that help the story become as entertaining as I can manage. Then the cherry will be the weaving of all these facets together into a credible and enjoyable tale. Not an easy task by anyone’s standards, so wish me luck.

Now where would be the hardest place to murder somebody and get away with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment