Wednesday 11 December 2013

Impetuous Intentions

A day or two ago, I found myself writing my next novel quite happily. No real problems, I knew what murder was to be committed, how, when, why and by whom. What I didn’t know, was anything else. I had started writing a novel with no idea how it was to turn out. Worse than that, I hadn’t planned anything properly. Any regular reader of my blog knows that I am a fastidious planner, and write full life stories for each character no matter how small a part they play. I like to know the history of a location before I place my characters there.

Some may call me a control freak, and as far as writing my novels go, I may also agree, but how then did I write the prologue and first two chapters without a chapter plan? Without any clear idea how I was going to introduce the evidence the sleuth needs to solve the case? Without proper motives and alibis for each character. Without, in fact, a clear idea of what characters I would be creating? How does someone like me, who insists on loads of planning and research before even thinking about details of a project, neglect the very bare bones of novel writing?

I think, perhaps, that my enthusiasm for the new project got the better of me. It can happen, though not often. I got so excited about an idea I had, that I just went ahead and began to write it. Some people may be able to write like that and if they can then I envy them. I however must have a written and drawn plan of attack. Does that bind me to a rigid way of thinking? Do I tie my own hands by being so rigid? Or does my faithful method do me credit? What do you think?

Read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment