Thursday 14 November 2013

Blagging Blog


 
So writing a blog isn’t the easiest thing to do. Every day, or week, or month depending on how often you update it, you must find something to write about. If you’re writing a blog about a specific subject, like I do, (writing, in case you didn’t guess) then the subject matter can be very limited. Most of my blogs have deliberately been about writing novels, because that is what I enjoy doing, but today I am briefly blogging, about blogging.

Some people use their blog as a diary; others update it like statuses from a social networking site. I just write about writing, and I never plan what I’m gonna say. I may think about it for a moment and wonder,

“Should I blog about that?”

But it is never orchestrated, and I very rarely edit. I leave the professionalism to my novel writing, and the blogging is my chatty way to impart wisdom/say stupid stuff. I love blogging; it means I can leave the spell check and grammar check alone and just let go. It is very liberating to write without too much care about whether a publisher is gonna like it or not. No editors or proof readers, and the only critics are you guys. If you don’t like it, you read something else. Simple! It’s a fantastic way to say what you want, when you want and how you want, but what if you become a professional blogger?

If you somehow make money out of blogging on a regular basis because a lot of people read your blogs, do you start to pander to your audience? Do you change your writing style to suit them? Do you start using spelling and grammar checks? Do you lose the free form flow of your narrative and therefore your early audience who enjoyed your individual way of expressing yourself? I’m not sure, but I hope I don’t fall into that trap. If people want to read my writing, (that in itself would be awesome) when it is polished and perfected, then they can read my novels. If they want to read my work when its raw, rough and bashed out on the keyboard in a matter of moments, then they can read my blog. But I don’t expect the two to be similar, and I hope my readers don’t either, otherwise they could be very disappointed.

What do you think? Read, follow, comment and enjoy. M x

No comments:

Post a Comment